Haters Back Off - Season 1 | Review
If you've never heard of Miranda Sings, who has a 7M strong Youtube following, you're not alone. I watch a lot of Youtube and I've never come across her either. So when I saw the advert on Netflix for 'Haters Back Off' I had no idea what it was all about, although it starred Angela Kinsey from The Office (US) which was enough to make me want to give it a go!
My journey with Haters Back off is a little strange. Basically over the last 48hrs I've moved all the way on the spectrum from 'meh' to it's incredibly brilliant!
Haters Back Off feels like a modern day Napoleon Dynamite esque series that also reminds me of Eastbound and Down and Vice Principals. The humour is often dark. You'll regularly cringe. And more often than not there's a deeper message to be conveyed. At first you'll watch it in shame and judgement, though that will change soon enough.
Before we dive into my thoughts on Haters Back Off, let me tell you a little about my journey towards really loving this show.
Uncle Jim's 5 step plan to loving Haters Back Off
- Watch the first episode of Haters Back Off on Netflix - you'll probably hate it.
- Watch another two episodes, because you need to watch three to really know - you'll probably still have mixed feelings about it, but because it's only eight episodes in total you're likely to push through.
- Finish watching the entire season - question your own integrity and mine.
- Conduct YouTube research on Miranda Sings and SopranoPsycho - become deeply fascinated by Colleen Ballenger's transformation into Miranda Sings. Begin to realise this is an origin story.
- Re-watch Haters Back Off on Netflix with a new appreciation - love it even more the second time around. Thank me personally for the recommendation. Haters, back off.
So what's it all about...
Haters Back Off is a story about a young woman named Miranda Sings (Colleen Ballenger), an incredibly confident, totally untalented star on the rise who continues to fail upward by the power of her belief that she was born famous.
That belief can largely be attributed to her mother Bethany (Angela Kinsey) and her Uncle Jim (Steve Little) who not only encourage Miranda's behaviour but have more than enough of their own issues. For example, Uncle Jim believes he was once a famous ribbon twirler and Bethany believes that she has undiagnosed fibromyalgia... though thankfully her wrist brace provides just enough support to keep her functioning.
The general plot of the season follows Uncle Jim's management plan to fame. Which see's Miranda try to progress through these five fail proof steps:
- Make a viral video
- Singing career
Sounds easy enough right?
Let me just start this off by saying, this show isn't going to be for everyone but if you love it as much as I did, we should probably become best friends.
When I first started watching Haters Back Off I truly didn't really understand what I was watching and several times I definitely wondered if this was for me. Although it's a relatively easy watch at only eight episodes long (Approx. 30min each), as I mentioned earlier it really starts to grow on you long after it's finished.
Over the last 12 months I've personally found myself watching a lot more Youtube content that I would have ever imagined. Which makes me wonder if I have a higher appreciation and empathy for people trying to make it on the internet, a platform where literally anyone can become famous for almost anything.
What's great about the Netflix show is that it introduces a bunch of additional characters above and beyond the Youtube series. And these are characters you're definitely going to want to see more of.
If you like you're comedy a little dark this is probably something that's going to be right up your alley.
Haters Back Off - Trailer
Haters Back Off is a fantastically tragic dark comedy that really starts to grow on you even when the short eight episode season ends. Thankfully you'll find years worth of Miranda Sings content on Youtube to keep you sustained.
- Colleen Ballinger's transformation into Miranda Sings is mesmerising, disturbing and brilliant!
- Incredible supporting cast including - including Angela Kinsey from The Office and Steve Little from Eastbound and Down.
- Bethany's undiagnosed fibromyalgia
- Lots of insider jokes to fans of the Miranda Sings Youtube Channel i.e. The Daddy Saddle & The Cinnamon Challenge etc. This is why I'm now watching this show for a second time.
- Dem feels in the last episode! Let's hope this gets a second season on Netflix.
- This show takes a little while to warm to, though it's thoroughly enjoyable once you do.
- I don't think everyone will make the natural jump to Youtube as a next step - which may leave most people thinking WTF am I watching.